Blue light blocking glasses: additional protection against artificial light
Blue light blocking glasses are the ideal protection for LED lighting; this ubiquitous lighting in our environment diffuses ray peaks of wavelength close to the color blue.
Good to know: the "traditional" artificial tungsten light mainly emitted red radiation.
Currently LED lighting is everywhere at home, in the office, in public places, as well as in digital devices: mobile phones, tablets, televisions, computers...
Is blue light harmful?
Many studies link LED lighting to altered circadian rhythms, which can negatively influence and weaken the immune system. It is also known that this light can inhibit the secretion of melatonin, which makes it difficult for us to sleep. LED lights are also believed to affect serious illnesses such as cardiovascular problems and certain types of cancer.
For your eyes, LED light can cause computer vision syndrome (CVS) or eyestrain . Visual fatigue can be caused by prolonged accommodation effort (the lens does not rest) and can occur in the following cases:
- We work in front of the computer screen or another digital device (mobile, tablet, etc.).
- We read for hours without a break.
- We perform actions that require great concentration such as driving.
- We are exposed to bright light: neon, led, sun.
- We are working in a place with insufficient lighting.
- We need prescription glasses but we don't use it!
This eye strain can cause other symptoms:
- Blurred and sometimes double vision.
- Headache, usually located in the temples.
- Dry eye
- Itching and burning eyes.
- Discomfort in the eyes when exposed to light.
- Concentration problems.
- Red eyes.
Therefore, eye strain generates symptoms that we associate with visual overstrain and lack of rest, but these inconveniences can also lead to other problems. Therefore, if they last, it is better to consult an ophthalmologist.
Blue light glasses then?
To protect our eyes from the possible harmful effects of blue light, anti-blue light glasses with specific protection filters for this type of lighting have been developed, their purpose? Reduce the intensity of blue radiation and UV. It is a simple and effective way for more visual comfort.